UIUC CS-588 Autonomous Vehicle System Engineering (MAAV) 2021 Home Page
Instructor D.A. Forsyth --- 3310 Siebel Center
Office Hours: TBA
Lecture Time: WF 12h30-13h45 mostly at DCL 1310
Locations: DCL 1310, online, High Bay
TA: Xiaoming Zhao TA email: email@example.com
Alternative locations may be available
CRUCIAL INFORMATION IF YOU'RE NOT YET REGISTERED
I am willing to let people in with unusual backgrounds, etc.
but I CAN'T make more places in the class. What that
means is I'm OK doing waivers for open seats, but if you're not registered
and there isn't an open seat, you're stuck. You could wait, but
be aware that that is risky.
598 AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES AND THE PANDEMIC
Our course will be a mixture of in person and online, with the weights varying
depending on the progress of the pandemic. By default, we meet WF 1310 DCL as scheduled.
Later in the semester we will spend more time on the physical vehicle and less meeting
Important; Important; Important
We will meet in person on or around the vehicle.
To take this course, you will need to:
- Be eligible to be on university property (ie vaccinated or tested)
- Take simple safety training (coming up) and agree to comply with safety regs
- Be willing to work in a group
- Please fill in
this survey. You shouldn't feel that if you fill in a lot of no's, the course is not for you. I just
want to pitch things at the right level -- remember, I make my living out of students not knowing things.
- For each lecture, there will be readings and movies on the web
page. Look below at the table of movies.
- As the semester progresses, we should be able to perform
experiments on a physical vehicle. I will reserve Fridays for vehicle time.
Software resources will be posted. Safety rules to be posted.
- If we're forced to move online I will be on zoom 12h30-15h00 CST WF. I will give a brief introduction to the movies, then be available to discuss the
movies, answer questions on past movies, and explain matters that
seem confusing. I will email out the
link for the meeting before each class.
First GIF movie for challenge 2 courtesy of Bolton Bailey and Duc Phan Huy
Not ready yet
Rough outline of topics
This is roughly what I plan to do and when
Readings and movies, linked to what we have done
- All please take the online course here, put together by UIUC Department of Research Safety: go to: DRS
and look under training; you should find a link for laboratory safety training. Finish the two simple online courses, then
- First block of training for safety lookout TBA. You reach the High Bay by going to the iHotel, round the conference center side,
at the back parking lot you'll see a building with orange "Engineering" sign on it; that's the one, there'll be people there.
- Second block of training for safety lookout is TBA.
- Safety driver rules
- Safety lookout rules
- General safety rules
A variety of useful information